Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Burning Experiences I'm Not Endorsing, Right Now (circa 2002)






Not Recommended


Burkhert Underground

This is an open mike event which I first recommended as a possible meeting place for a local Burning community. I have since learned that this may have been a very bad recommendation, given some behavior out of the host, Fred Burkhert, which caused me great concern, as I explained in this letter on the old alternative list, to some of the very people I recommended the event to. Oops. These things happen, and all one can do is try to get the news out.




Chicago Underground Film Festival, The

Homepage: Cuff.org. I get the feeling that these are people that one would not want to do business with. Here's why. Recently (it's May 2003 as I'm writing this) I drop by their site. I see a notice up about the 2002 festival, clearly marked on their front page, but nothing directing me to information about the 2003 festival. I look a little further. I find a phone number, call it, and get the three ear-splitting tones of death : their phone has been disconnected. Not the best of signs.

Wanting to make absolutely sure to give these people a chance, I write to director@cuff.org asking about the status of this year's festival. I get back a reply. "Tersely worded" would be the kindest way I could describe it. "Downright rude" is what comes to mind. I look some more, and find that they have hidden mention of this year's festival under "site updates", which is where most webmasters put notices about site re-organizations and almost nobody would think of looking for an event announcement. Put a big display for when the 2002 festival was on the front page, and then hide the 2003 notice in the footnotes? And then just expect that people will search your entire site for a notice which would usually be placed in full view?

There's an attitude toward the customer (and everybody else) being expressed and it's not a good one. "Rudeness is so cutting edge" seems to be the belief, and I have to admit that it's a common one in Chicago. But it's still BS, and as far as I'm concerned, so is this festival. If they're going to get testy when one asks them when the event is, just imagine how much of a joy they'll be to deal with once one gets there. In 2003, they'll be holding this thing from August 27 through September 2, in their theater in the Century City shopping mall at Broadway and Diversey, where I'm sure all the cutting edge people hang out (at least until curfew). Enjoy.







Last, and most certainly least, we have the option of Travelling with the Green Tortoise. Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it. I mean this. Seriously, don't do it. If you want to know why I'm saying this, click here. Either drive out to Burning Man with friends, or wait until next year when you can get your friends to drive out with you, because otherwise it is just not worth it.

Click here to return to "Burning Businesses in Chicago" and continue.